9-1-1 Emergency Phone Numbers
If you have an emergency dial 9-1-1.
Non-Emergency Phone Numbers
Non-emergency lines are for crimes that require police response, but that are non-life threatening: loud parties, a group of juveniles loitering in front of your home, neighbor disputes, etc.
The non-emergency dispatch number is 311 or (573) 442-6131. Our area code for all calls is (573).
Life Threatening Emergencies or Crimes in Progress Dial 9-1-1
The purpose of the Joint Communications Information Center 9-1-1 Emergency Telephone System is to provide for the immediate response of Officers, Fire, or Medical personnel for emergency occurrences. To accomplish this, it is imperative that the calls received on 9-1-1 lines be restricted to those situations that require immediate dispatching of Police Officers, Paramedics, or Fire Department personnel.
You do this by simply waiting for a dial tone on your telephone, cellular phone, or public telephone, then dial 9-1-1. No money is needed for calling 9-1-1 from a pay phone. If there is an emergency, you can pick up a pay phone, wait for a dial tone, and dial 9-1-1 without depositing a coin.
When Calling 9-1-1
- Stay calm. Give your location, the nature of the emergency, and your name
- Listen carefully to the 9-1-1 call-taker
- Answer the 9-1-1 call-taker's questions as accurately as possible. Speak clearly and slowly
- Do exactly as the 9-1-1 call-taker tells you during the course of the call
- Never hang up on the 9-1-1 call-taker until you are told to do so
- Non-Emergency situations - 311 or (573) 442-6131